Sunday, November 30, 2008

Follow up to the scans, and the start of radiology planning

Thursday, the next week.

The trip to find the results was easy. We had to be in Maplewood at 9:30. About 8 we left, me driving. I wanted to drive. Down the hill, across Wilson Creek, left at the library, north to 94 and off to Maplewood. We decided to try a new route, to take 61 north from 94 because 61 ran right past the clinic. Good thing we had extra time. Highway 61 turns south off 94, but we had to wind all through east St. Paul, till we found Arcade street which is also 61 north. This route is more interesting than 694 to White Bear and south to MOHPA (Minnesota Oncology and Hematology, PA) but longer.

The car parked, we walked in to find it was patient appreciation day. We each got a MOHPA water bottle, I had a lemon muffin, and entered their drawing, all while we waited to be called in.

I give you all these details because they are what I occupied myself with all the night before and in the morning while I lay awake, during the shower and on the drive. What can I say? Why do they take a bone scan? Because the damn stuff could be Everywhere. What is the prostascint looking for? Not just the spot near in the prostate bed, but the stuff in lymph nodes, bladder, testicles, and I suppose pancreas, liver, lungs. While I am not sure it was just swagger on my part, I have repeatedly looked into my soul and found that I am not afraid. But still. I walked in there wondering in the back of my mind whether I would be told to enjoy this Christmas because I wouldn’t be here next. I had done my best to prepare myself for that and for telling other people, whose obvious suffering at this bad news is both heartening and a bit guilty-causing—I am sorry to bring such distress into anyone’s life. Mary? Zoe? The kids? I don’t know what it is like to be told that. I thought about it, realized that it at least had the benefit of being definite, and then believed I could take the blow. After that set of thoughts, though, I deliberately turned away. In this extended slow motion sequence I refuse to dwell on all the what if’s. I could dwell on the life span of gleason 9 patients. I could dwell on the effectiveness of various therapies, and the correctness of what has already been done to me. I could start in on ‘this is the last…’ whatever. No good. If this kind of disease does nothing else, it convinces you quickly to live in Now. Watch the sunlight on the sumac on the way to work. Notice the dimples in Mary’s smile. Get on with today and with implementing dreams.

So we sat there. Someone called my name. We got up and followed her. At weigh-in I was 205. We went into the room, reviewed my medications and birthdate. She left. We waited for Warren. In he came, a big fellow, with gray hair, and an amiable smile. He has bedside manner down. He was carrying two envelopes. The results. My future. After a few pleasantries he opened the first, the bone scan. They are basically x-rays, so he inserted them into one of those wall light screens and told me to look. I have arthritis in a number of places, all of which showed on the scan—neck, shoulders, knees, spine. But no bone cancer. He took them down, put them back in the envelope and gave them to me. I guess I will show them to Mark to see how to follow up on them. One down.

Next was the prostascint scan. These are more like photos so the screen was not much help. He explained that a brown smudge—love those technical words for the results of a million dollar machine—was cancer. The word he used was ‘uptake.’ He was looking for uptake. He pointed out two. One was in the prostrate bed and the other in the bladder. He did it with the same professional calm that an English teacher points out a comma splice. He had me look. I saw them. Where would this go? No others. We scoured the pictures like you might scour a map looking for a small town name or a street name. Nothing but those two spots.

So we sat down and he started in to discuss lupron. He asked me if I knew the side effects. I said that I had asked my niece to come watch chick flicks with me so we could cry together. I guess that caught him off guard. So I suggested that he might like to explain other effects. The key one is hot flashes. Also some weight gain and an even further loss of libido (he just said loss but I added the even further—no prostate cuts down on this side of life a bit—we can talk about that too if you like. Call me. I might get it into one of these reports, but not now. I will say that libido is not eliminated and in its own new way sort of fun).

The discussion turned to radiation and the time schedule. Surprise, there are two planning sessions in November. One is a CT scan, again, to precisely locate the cancer and mark my body so the radiation gun targets it exactly. The other, nice, is that I need to have some gold markers “placed” in the area. How is that done? I inquired naively. Same way the biopsy is done, through the anus. Beautiful. Sershon does it. McGuire’s people will talk to Sershon’s people who will talk to my people (Mary) and I will show up for the ‘placement.’ The radiation could start at the end off November. It seemed apparent that I needed to OK all this so I said let’s do it. And that started the process. I could have the lupron shot there today and I agreed to that.

Then we got to the questions. Since I felt that one elephant was munching contentedly in the room, I thought it best to ask—what about the bladder? I was amazed at how calm I was as I asked that question. Nothing. The brown always shows up there. No cancer there. I was amazed again that I didn’t get light-headed and faint. We worked through some other questions, including the name of the man who read my first biopsy. I really want to understand how the two biopsies could be so different. I don’t expect to get confrontational about it, but the difference appears to be a major hole in the system.

While we were questioning I asked if this treatment plan would get me out of jury duty. He said yes, if it was during the radiation or if I got hot flashes so extreme that I had trouble concentrating. We traded jury stories. He had been on a silly one. I had been on a sexual assault one where we let the guy off due to it not being proved beyond a reasonable doubt. That led to a brief discussion of use of CSI techniques in small town trials, and he took a shot that was pretty interesting. He suggested that in at least one small town in Alaska the woman was required to pay for the dna test if she wanted one in the trial. I am not sure that that is true, but there he was. A democrat. We told the story of being at breakfast at a bed and breakfast in St. Johns New Brunswick. We were the only Americans of about 10 people in the small room. The proprietor loved to get things going so he sidled over to our table and told us that last week he had had a republican there but he kicked him out. I guess Mary and I wear our politics on our sleeves. An aside—the proprietor then got after the Russian who was travelling around Canada. What did he think of the U.S. and Bush? The Russian said that they all loved him because Bush had gotten the dollar devalued, and the ruble consequently went up, and now Russians could afford to travel around the world.

That laugh over, the doctor left and we never saw him again. Another nurse came in, told us she would administer the shot. We talked a bit. I love the customer attention, the sense that they want us to know that people are helping you, another person. She was from Hudson. Her kids went to school at a private academy in St. Paul, so no, she didn’t know our friends the Leesons. I decided not to mention politics. She left to get the shot. About 15 minutes later she returned to tell us that the delay was because they had to get the ok from Eau Claire Group Health. After that permission came, she came in with the shot, my third one in this process, all from needles and vials about the same size. I asked what the shot cost. She called the pharmacist. Six hundred dollars. I leaned over the examining bench, pulled my pants down to about half way down the cheeks. She slipped the top of my Travel Smiths down about two inches and injected me on the top curve of the right cheek. That was it.

She led us to the scheduler. We set up the general time frame, did the ‘people’ thing, and off we went, out past the patient appreciation displays, through the doors, across the lot to the car. Mary drove. That was fine with me. I was more wiped out than I thought I would be. She confessed that her heart had dropped at the casual mention of the bladder also. That strange feeling of love that unites two people into one came to me. Maybe this is what angels are. We turned onto Beam, onto White Bear, onto 694, and headed into the even clearer now.

No comments: