Sunday, November 30, 2008

February 4--things take a turn for the worse

Hi, well, today I had my first post-operative report and there is good news and not so good news. So, the not-so-good--I apparently am not cancer-free. But I am not on the Bucket List. Here is the explanation. My prostate was more cancerous than had been determined by the initial biopsy. The initial biopsy assessed the cancer at "Gleason 6" (of 10) but in reality it is "Gleason 9." It was more advanced than they had thought. It had spread outside the prostate, on the right side, including into the vas deferens on that side (you can google vas deferens, or thank a good high school biology teacher). The urologist told us that this turn of affairs is highly unusual, but not unexpected since prostate cancer is a kind of 'mix' of levels, so what you see at one point is not what you are guaranteed to get at another.

Well, what does this mean? It means that I have a second post-operative check on May 7, when the results of the PSA test I have in late April will be assessed. If the PSA is zero, no further action is needed. If the PSA records a number, then probably I will have a course of radiation. Until then, may I suggest that we all eat, drink, and be merry? And I will spend as much time as I can hugging you all, and that dreamboat Zoe.

Now to the good news. For one, the catheter is out and, as my soggy Depends alert me, its removal has not impeded my ability to course volumes of liquid from the inner depths to the faraway shores. I am pretending I am an astronaut in space, peeing my pants on a great adventure. For another, the choice to have the surgery is dramatically confirmed. Had I chosen radiation, the treatment would have had nearly no effect, other than to wear me out. For a third, while the news rocked me for a minute, I remain, as I was before, neither afraid nor worried.

BTW, I liked the Aeneid so much--could not believe that the translation I read felt like a story not a pompous rendition of a myth, that your mother bought me the Iliad and Odyssey by the same translator. Last night I finally figured out that Odysseus was the love slave of the goddess Calypso who is often referred to as having lovely braids. Somehow I missed all the action the other times I have read this stuff. On to more sex and gore.

Call when you can.

I love you all very, very much.

D

No comments: