Friday, April 14, 2017

As this process continues I find I lose more and have give up with dignity. I mean privacy and sense of dignity. I now need assistance changing my Depends..that means someone else removes them gives me a quick clean with a baby wipe.  Often this is a son or daughter. And on the toilet I need to lean against someone as my bowel empties and the another person clean me usually my wife. At first I found these experiences difficult to accept but I have. It makes everyone 's life easier and i have found, oddly, a rewarding level of intimacy and love.  .so, what are dignity and privacy?you have to redefine

1 comment:

loel said...

What a candid and beautiful post.

My siblings, father, and I shared a similar experience with my mother as she was dying. We took turns taking "night duty" and giving bathroom help. And, oddly enough, it was not embarrassing or distasteful to us at all. I know I felt as if they were the last acts of love I could give to my mother and I am pretty sure my father and my sibs felt the same way. I am so glad we had the opportunity to share that part of her life with her and to serve her as she spent so much of her life serving us.