Saturday, March 4, 2017

Decision to refuse clinical trial

On March 3, 2017 sent out the message below.  It was a difficult decision but one I am comfortable with, at peace.

-->
Hi all, Here is my update. I will get to my physical and emotional report in a moment, but first my decision and why I made it. I have decided not to pursue a clinical trial in Texas or anywhere. The trials I was looking at dealt with the immunotherapy drug ipilimumab. After inquiries and research I have been unable to find any data that convinces me that I should put myself and my family and friends through an extended program. I could find no data that showed that I would have a recovery chance (or extension of life chance) from it. I also found that one of the side effects is difficult stomach issues. My stomach has hurt for the past three months; I won’t add to the discomfort.  When I checked with the program at MD Anderson in Houston about the results that they are seeing, I was told that they did not have any data that they could share with me.   I also checked for relevant programs at the U of Minnesota, at Mayo in Rochester, and a neat one at the Koch Center in Pittsburgh (they have an effective treatment for reducing tumors in the peritoneal cavity, for a number of cancers but not prostate. That phone call took less than five minutes.) And so, the Hail Mary is over. I guess  am not Aaron Rodgers. No PSA to report this time. The Doctors are finished collecting that data.

So on to what is a wonderful quality of life for me right now. Yes my stomach often hurts, I feel like I have to poop any minute now, and my legs are weak some days. Part of the stomach issue is the ascites that has to be drained out of me every so often (a process called paracentesis in case you ever need it for a crossword). But wth some very fine advice from several doctors and our dietician daughter-in-law and the care from Mary, I am eating better and enjoying it more. I have good days and bad.  I get my walks in as much as I can. I have had two exhibits of my photos. One just closed and the other is up into the middle of March. I have received visits and mail that are humbling and joyful. I haven’t responded to all of them but they touch me profoundly. You guys are great. I have continued to work on spirituality and am glad for the time I have to let my thinking develop. It keeps revealing itself and that is so fun. I have done a good deal of reading and also a lot of review of my own emotional experiences. I have a not-very-finished piece on spirituality if you would like to read it. 

The oncologist told me I had 1-2 months. Well, I got one down and hope that I can celebrate a few more first days of the month.

I will keep you informed as this progresses. I tried telling the cancer to go away but that didn’t work. I am not worried and I am not afraid. Actually I feel at peace. I couldn’t do this without you. You mean so much to me. I love you so. 

Hug the ones you love,
Dan

No comments: