Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Medications to ease stomach GI discomfort

Here's what I am doing to control the stomach GI discomfort that comes with prostate cancer in the abdominal cavity. Every day I take 3 ondancetron--at breakfast, about 5 pm and in the middle of the night. I also take a protonix in the morning. The ondancetron has eliminated the vomiting that I experienced in January. The protonix keeps the acid stomach under control. I also take a tablespoon of fiber powder (Benefiber Healthy Shape Fiber Supplement) dissolved in water every day. The fiber has largely ended the weakness in my legs that I felt every time I defecated. However, it also has caused constipation.  I still poop every day but it is a slow process with a number of wipes. The last thing in this list is that I have a paracentesis regularly to drain all the ascites out of me. When my abdomen fills up with ascites I have pressure on my stomach reducing my appetite. I have had the paracenteses either every week or every two weeks.

I detail all this because it took various doctors a number of weeks to get me to this regimen. If this happens to you ask about these medications as soon as you can.

No comments: