Wednesday, October 15, 2014

July 2014 Things take yet another turn

I sent this series of emails to my family and support system in July

 JULY 16, 2014
Hi, here is the report. My PSA went up to 3.5. It had been doubling but this is quintupling (it was .7 before). So what does this mean? First, the doctor said we are not talking months but years in terms of mortality. His concern is what he calls “morbidity” by which he means the cancer gets into my bones and makes my quality of life less stellar. He used the helpful term “rot” my bones (He also told us that he needed to check a few numbers on my screen to make sure he was not talking out his ass. I like this guy and trust him). Based on our visit, I feel really good. I am not worried nor afraid.

This rise does mean that I will have more activity about my numbers.
1. They took a testosterone level blood draw. He expects it will reveal that my testosterone is low. If it is high, he will simply change the medication to see if the change affects the PSA.
2. He ordered a bone scan. I will have that tomorrow morning at Red Cedar. The goal of that scan is to determine whether any cancer is in my bones. He expects that scan to be negative.
 So 3. If both tests are negative, I will see a doctor, his partner, who specializes in cases like mine, which are, it turns out, a bit rare. That doctor could order another test that tries to exactly locate the cancer in the body and as a result of that knowledge propose a customized treatment. Dr. Sershon says that there have been remarkable advances in treating prostate cancer and that advances are happening rapidly.

 So I guess I will eventually get to try some of that advanced remark ability.

 I thank you for your support. This fall it is 7 years since I was diagnosed. I love you. If you have questions, or if your kids or others have questions, please ask. This stuff is on my mind and I don’t mind discussing it. I think that everyone should hear as much as possible about this disease in order to be better prepared to handle it. So, back at it.

I look forward with delight to our reunions in the next 10 days. I have rock climbing to do, and gym workouts, and biking, and traveling, and german to study. And I feel so good knowing you are there and you care. Dan

JULY 29, 2014
Hi, I had the bone scan I mentioned awhile back. The drs were unwilling to draw a conclusion from it. They thought there was a problem with one area of my pelvis. So I had an X-ray. It showed that there is an irregularity in the pelvis at the spot being investigated. So now, sometime in the future, the next several days or weeks or after we return from Seattle, I will have a biopsy of that area. After that there should be some decision about what direction to take for managing the cancer. Lots of hurry up and go slow. Dan

JULY 31, 2014 Hi, I want to bring you up to date on the latest with my condition. I had the tests that I mentioned earlier, testosterone and bone scan. Nothing is resolved yet.
First I had a testosterone suppression test. The results were fine. The lupron is doing that part of its job, suppressing the testosterone.

Then I had a bone scan. Well, there was an area on my pelvis that looked suspicious. So to resolve that I had an X-ray. That X-ray told the drs that something was going on in that area. It has a name like scorosis (sorry, I have not looked it up).

So now on August 5 I will have a biopsy of the area. The results of that biopsy should be back several days later. Depending on what the biopsy reveals, some more action will occur. Whatever that action is, it will not happen, as near as I can tell, until September after we return from Seattle. Actually the urologist suggested I wait until we return to have the biopsy but since I could get in right away, I decided to do the scan now. After that, who knows?

I am amazed at the slowness of this process. I suppose that is a good sign but it has taught me to not expect a clear answer at any particular point. The dr continues to say "years" plural, so that is nice. When I know more, I will let you know. I am still whacking away at German and my rock climbing has hit a plateau that is annoying. So it goes. In the meantime, thanks for your support. It means a lot to me. Tell people you love them.
Dan

No comments: