Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Cancer in my bone. The heavy hitters come out.

These two emails continue my reports to my family as my situation changed.

AUGUST 12, 2014

Hi, the biopsy shows that the tumor in my right hip is prostate cancer. Who told me that is my GP. He will set up a consultation with an oncologist in Eau Claire in September after we return from Seattle.

At this point there is very little more to say. The result is basically what I expected. It is too early to discuss treatment. Most likely it will be chemo, probably spread over the fall, but apparently there are other possibilities. As I say, too soon to discuss.   After I talk with my urologist, if there is more to report, I will let you know. 

I am not afraid and not worried. This is a management problem.  And yesterday I almost reached the top of the route that has befuddled me all summer. Tomorrow I expect to top it. I will bring my climbing shoes to Seattle. We have taken biking back up and I can’t wait to get going on skiing this winter.

Thanks again for your support.
Love,
Dan

SEPTEMBER 4, 2014

Hi all, today we visited the second of two oncologists. He is PJ Flynn of Minnesota Oncology. Yesterday we visited Dr. Sandeep Basu of Luther Mayo Health in Eau Claire. They both recommended the same thing. For convenience we will go with Dr. Basu. Actually Dr. Flynn thought that was what made the most sense.

 I will begin tomorrow taking the drug Casodex, once a day. My PSA will be regularly monitored. If the drug works, my PSA will eventually level off and remain more or less at the same level. I should know whether that occurs by December or January. If it works, I will continue to use it. If not, I will move to another drug. Right now chemo is not in my near future.

We were impressed with both doctors. They were thorough and clear. We got basically the same information from both, in all details of treatment prostate cancer of the type that I currently have.

 And so, off we go. Another phase. I continue to be neither worried nor afraid. Thanks for your support. Hug those you love. If you have things you want done, do them now. If you have questions, please ask. I think about this stuff enough to have been over all the ground from deep concern to elation. And Dr. Basu told me that rock climbing was an extreme sport. Maybe I can get into the septuagenarian olympics.

Love, Dan

No comments: