Thursday, February 9, 2017

Emaill to Suport Group Feb 4, 2017

I sent this post to my support group on February 4.

Hi, I saw both my GP and my oncologist Friday, Feb 3. The results of the meetings were not unexpected though a bit stark. The GP told me that I would be in ‘ascites management’ from now on. In other words the stomach issues are caused by ascites and are not going away. Periodically I will have to have a ‘drain’ or paracentesis. I had three in January, the last one being January 26. I am taking an anti nausea pill, ondansetron, three times a day. Currently it is helping quite a bit. Last few nights I even had cake and ice cream.

The oncologist was more bleak. In line with what he has been saying since November he now thinks that I have 1-2 months left. In November he thought 3-4. That was hard. He based his conclusion on the change in my physical state since November. I am now 20 pounds lighter than I was then. He also reviewed some clinical trials and suggested, without a lot of enthusiasm, that I could apply to several at the university of Minnesota. I will do so on Sunday or Monday. If those don’t work out, I might still try Houston, but I am not sure about that. He did say that if I am going to get into a trial that I need to do it quickly.

We had already come to the same conclusions that both of them gave us, but having them say it puts a kind of no-doubt-about-it on those conclusions. It is hard to say that those visits gave peace of mind but in a way they did. Things are clear to me. I have a few important decisions to make and will do so in the next few days. 

To end this on an upper note, this past week the photo group had an opening party for me at the Barrel Room. Almost everyone was there. We stayed for an hour and a half and had a wonderful visit. Several people wanted one or the other of the photos and so we gave them to them and marked them as sold.  It was such a fun evening, so full of love and giving. In my new sense of things, it was very spiritual. And if you want to see the photos of a guy who also did a 365 project, google That Tree and Mark Hirsch. He took pictures of the same tree for a year. They are fabulous.

I love you.
Dad Dan Doc

No comments: