Thursday, October 29, 2015

Second chemo session

-Second Chemo Session
Thursday, October 29, 2015
Today I had my second chemo. I have accompanied this entry with photos that include needles inserted into me. Just so you are prepared. Two drugs, Aloxi and Pepcid, are “pushed” into me.  The saline, dexamethasone and texotere flow from bags hung on a stand at my side. This stand has wheels so I can take it to the restroom should I need that. Also the IV department provides comfy recliners for me for the two hours I sit there.

We left home about 9:45 for a 10 am appointment at Mayo Clinic Health System-Red Cedar. After a few preliminaries of registering and checking my vitals, the actual session began at 10:15.  First the needle was inserted into a vein on my left hand. I had had a bit of redness last time with the needle at my right elbow. If a problem develops, it will be easier to care for on the hand.  You can see the arrangement in the photo below.

Then in succession came a few minutes of saline solution followed by 20 mg of dexamethasone, a steroid.  The dex started into me at 10:15 and flowed until 10:30.  After an 8-minute preparation, the next drug, an anti-nausea medication, Aloxi, .25 mg, flowed in, and then 20 mg of Pepcid, another stomach calmer.  The last two drugs took 7 minutes to enter me.  At 10:43 the 150 mg of Taxotere began to flow.  At 11:58 the bag was empty. After a Lupron shot, something I receive every 4 months, we left for home about 12:10.

Every drug is scanned before it is set up to flow into me. Also, before the Texotere is hooked up to me, two people have to read the labels and confirm that it is Texotere and it is meant for me. I have a picture of the scanner below also. 

The session takes place in a normal sized consultation room. Everyone is attentive, very professional, yet willing to carry on conversations about whatever topic arises. Today we discussed Dexter cattle, an Irish breed, for a bit.  I read most of the time. My current book is Our Daily Bread, a socioeconomic history of Germany from 1500-1850. I have amassed a large amount of data on my ggg grandfather Jacob Reiser and I have decided to turn all that material into some kind of small book. Our Daily Bread is part of my research.

I type this at 1:30 pm after lunch.  I feel fine and will go for a walk of about 2 miles shortly.  I don’t know how I will feel tomorrow so I want to get the walk in today.  Last time I really felt ok except for tiredness and constipation issues.  I am not sure that those issues were caused by the chemo; they had been present for several weeks prior as I worked through the ascites problems in my abdominal cavity.

I have been thinking about an entry on my emotional state as my cancer has taken the turn that it has, but I will wait a bit before I write that. The short version is that I am blessed with a makeup that allows me to say truly that I am not worried and not afraid. But there is more to that and I would like to explain it.




No comments: