Tuesday, February 25, 2014

A turn of events in the cancer fight

In November 2013 I received a bit of sobering news, though not entirely unexpected. My cancer is acting up.

Here is the email I sent to family and friends: Hi, I sent this email to my kids earlier today. Here is your copy. What can I say? What is, is. Share with your kids. Thanks for all your support. If you want to talk about it, please ask. You are great, Love, Dan Hi, I had my PSA drawn on November 1. On November 11, Dr. Sershon called me to tell me that the number had jumped. He did not tell me the new number. I can get it in the next few days. It was my choice. The old numbers had always been below.2, or "undetectable". Well. He said he will watch the number at my next PSA draw in March. If it stays up, I will be referred to his associate for further treatment because it probably means there is a clump of cancer in there somewhere. Which of course I already know: The cancer has never gone away completely; that's why the PSA never went to 0. Sershon also explained that the number could go back down, that PSA related to lupron treatments sometimes jumps and goes back. So there is nothing to do but wait to see.

Just to be clear, Sershon is a pretty blunt guy. No mention of "affairs in order" or "bucket list." And I have no such intentions, though a month in Europe sounds good. The last thing he said to me was "Have a good winter," which is exactly what I plan to do.

Please know that I am not afraid nor am I worried. Look at these things head on and don't flinch. I refuse to allow these facts to affect the way I live in the now. And living now means that I am deeply in love with you all and your children, and that I know what that means at a very deep level, and that it is a lot of fun, making for a very fine way to get up in the morning. So, a bit sobering, but having cancer is a bit sobering. Hug, laugh, dance, call me, try new things (I am working, after years of ignoring it, to learn flash photography. I just bought a nice external flash. Tomorrow I can get back to rock climbing. Today I checked out cork flooring for the kitchen.) God it is great to be on the same team as you guys.

Love, Dan, Dad, Doc

No comments: