Tuesday, November 15, 2016

A look back at Autumn

-->
November 15, 2016

Since my last post much has happened. My PSA has done a roller-coaster set of readings. Down to about 30 and most recently (Nov 1) up to 37.  Part of the decline to 30 from earlier 45 was that I got chemo and a Lupron shot at the same time. Lupron helped some, which means that some of the cancer in me is still susceptible to hormone therapy but obviously quite a bit is not.

The round of chemo has kept my PSA down so I have continued past the originally scheduled 6 sessions. I now have had 8 and will have the ninth on November 28. It is not clear that there will be a 10th but I expect that there will be.

This round has been hard on my stomach and lower GI. I have had stomach discomfort, diarrhea, and some constipation. These side effects are draining. They take the oomph out of me.  Usually they occur about days 7-12 of the cycle. I work hard to maintain some exercise, trying to get in 2 miles walking a number of times a week. I am skipping it today in order to write this.

I found myself buoyed up when the PSA dropped from 45 to 30. I know not to count on that drop as an indication that further drops are coming, but it was a relief. I had spent much of the autumn working on end of life things and that task is also draining. But we have most of that set now, my end of life celebration, our money, the house, clarity with the kids and immediate family, cars, house repairs, yard changes both completed and ordered from the landscaper in case I am not here in the spring. I have felt less down these past few weeks and that is a fun feeling, sort of like the feeling I used to have about how good it felt not to have a migraine.

During these weeks I get rock climbing when I can, no longer once a week but still every other week.  And as I have said in these pages many times, I can’t let this condition turn me to, well, a pity party. We have a grand Thanksgiving weekend coming up, visits from old friends, from family and a meal on Thursday at one of Minneapolis’ finest restaurants, Mannys, in has now become a tradition. I keep up with my German, though right now it feels like I am at one of those plateaus that I would like to rise up from, but that is not happening quickly. Our Christmas plan is to spend December 23-30 with all the family in a villa in South Padre Island. What a kick that will be. We have never done that before at Christmas. I am really looking forward to that. 

The work with spirituality has also plateaued. I have read some fine books and have a new perception of religion in general though I am still working on the meaning not just of spirituality but of living spiritually. One of the touchstones of such living is connection, which I am finding hard to define and realize. It is easy to define connection but what does it mean to be connected to others and other things? The answers of course can be worked out rationally and easily but the emotional (or realized) meaning of those answers is much harder for me to achieve. I have enjoyed meditation which I began about 2 months ago. In the short term it is pretty amazing in its ability to effect calmness. I like that. But I am not sure of the long term goal of meditation. Is it supposed to lead to the traditional mystical experience? To the dissolution of the ego? Are there plateaus in the practice? I am certainly a beginner and I have no answers to these questions.

Oh, the photography. What a joy. I have completed my 366 project. I certainly received many supportive comments and I have posted all 381 photos in an album on Facebook. I have also written an essay about what I learned from the project and probably will post it on this site in the near future. I loved the awareness and sense of harmony with the seasons that the project caused. Preparations continue for the show I will have with a local painter who is rendering a number of my photos. I think that show will open in the mid winter. My photo group is a great source of satisfaction. I love the discussions of each other’s photos. I am amazed and delighted with what we see in each other’s work. Our work is available on Flickr as Red Cedar Photographers if you would like to look.

Photography is a kind of meditative practice. The practitioner must be aware of and focused on the image, which is akin to breath. I have a ways to go with this thread of thought, but I enjoy it and will get there.

Enough for now. Thank you for reading.



     

No comments: