Thursday, August 11, 2016

Progress report after 3 sessions of chemo


Hi, my PSA has gone down to 30 from 47. Nice. And thank you for all the good thoughts and prayers sent my way. As usual it is a relief to have the number go down, and a disappointment not to have it down to 2 or so. But so it goes.

The doctor is satisfied with my progress. I will have my 4th chemo tomorrow and then two more, one late in August and another near the end of September. It is possible that I will have more treatments but that decision will be made in September. The doctor is also interested (I think that is the best term) in my entering a clinical trial for “ippy” (Ipilimumab). His view is that I should wait until the chemo fails, as it inevitably will. In other words chemo will only reduce my PSA so far and after that it is classified as failed. This sequence happened with my last program of chemo where the PSA reduced to 14 then went no farther. It is a harsh term, but the term is failed. Anyway, after that chemo event, he feels that would be the time to enter the clinical trial. Currently that sequence is not clear and I urge you not to worry about it. I am simply trying to report to you what I heard today.

This last chemo session three weeks ago left me with more stomach lower GI issues for longer. Ugh. Or Puha. I will use some different strategies to combat those side effects after tomorrow. Among other things I will, at the Dr’s suggestion, stop taking aspirin and niacin every day. Hopefully this change will help with the stomach issues. We’ll see. The other side effect is tiredness. I am more tired this time and so, to my annoyance, I am not working out or climbing. The best I do is get in as many two-mile walks as I can.

So enough of the doctor report. We leave for West Glacier, Montana, next week to attend the wedding of my brother-in-law Steve’s son’s Jackson to Claire. I can’t wait. I get to visit with many of the relatives and also spend time in our beloved mountains. We met in Glacier Park in 1964 and have returned to hike many times over the years. The kids and grandkids want to see the room where I first laid eyes on Mary and in that instant became the proverbial ‘goner.’ Hopefully I will feel well enough in the fall to travel. I have no shortage of destinations—New York, DC, Seattle, Germany, and today I added Ecuador after talking with a good friend just returned from there.  We have a new apartment in Minneapolis. We moved from the 5th to the 1st floor and have a place with high ceilings, lots of interesting angles, our own front door and a patio. Lately, as seems befitting for someone in my position, I have started reading about spirituality. If you have a suggestion, I would be delighted to hear it. So far I have read James, Robinson, Merton and Chopra.

Once again, I thank you for your support. I could not do this without you. I love you so. While there are clearly clouds on my horizon I am not worried and not afraid. You be the same.
-August 9, 2016

Hug the ones you love,
Dan

No comments: